Monday, July 6, 2015

Words

Words are such little things that come out of our mouths, sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're sarcastic and sometimes they are mean and are meant to hurt somebody.  Why do we do this - especially to fellow Christians? 

"I really don't like the way you sing, you sounded much better before you took voice lessons.  But keep on singing."  As if that last part lessons the sting of the meanness.

"I think that flower arrangement at the pulpit looks like a funeral arrangement."  Really??  I'm doing my best, I'm sorry it isn't good enough for you.

Yes, these were actually said to me or to Mr. Handsome, and yes I will forgive the individuals who said them.  But the words have left their mark and have scarred my heart.

And if it makes me sad, imagine how our Heavenly Father must feel when He looks down from Heaven and sees all the squabbling that's going on.  Whatever happened to being supportive and giving each other an encouraging word?

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another."  John 13:34

No, she's not the best singer, but she is singing for the Lord.

No, she's not the best decorator, but she is doing it for the Lord.

"But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.  Therewith bless we God, even the Father and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.  Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing.  My brethren, these things ought not so to be.  Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?  Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries?  either a vine, figs?  so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh."  James 3:8-12

Since we are members of the same body of Christ, let's make sure only nice things come from our mouths.  Remember what we were told as children, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

So while you need a thick skin to be a Christian church worker or even a volunteer, unkind words still hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment